Cooking 101: Baked Salmon and a few side dishes…
You know how everyone has a staple dish or recipe?! It’s a wham-bam-thank-you-m’am kind of culinary creation that is quick, easy and perhaps even healthy!? The one recipe that you could cook with your eyes closed (although not recommended or endorsed by Braude’s Bites).
For those who need a bit of Cooking 101, this is one of the first recipes that I usually share with the “culinary challenged”.
My mother has been baking this dish for years so I give credit, where credit is due.
Without further adieu, I present:
1. Wash fish under water and pat dry.
2. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of the fish
3. Sprinkle a bit of paprika and onion powder
4. Bake in your toaster oven or in the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes (Put your oven fan on so that you don’t stink up your kitchen)
5. Feel free to broil the fish for the last 1-2 minutes to get a crusty flake on top (be careful not to burn your fish)
This dish goes well with these easy side dishes:
Sautéed Kale (inspired by the recipe from the restaurant Westvill in NYC)
- Clean kale and pat dry
- Chop the kale like it was lettuce
- Add 1 chopped shallots with 1 tbsp of olive oil to frying pan
- Heat on low until onions are transparent (be very careful when heating oil!)
- Add kale and ½ cup of white wine, dash of salt and pepper
- Cover lid on pan until the kale is cooked
- Wash and scrub potato
- Stab potato repeatedly with a fork
- Place in microwave for 10 minutes on high
- Clean asparagus
- Sprinkle with 1 tbsp oil and a dash of salt and pepper
- Put asparagus on a roasting pan for 15 minutes at 350
- Clean asparagus
- Insert asparagus in a Pyrex dish
- Fill Pyrex dish with a centimeter of water
- Cover Pyrex with saran wrap and microwave for 6 minutes
- Careful of steam when removing saran wrap
- Remove asparagus from water
- Upon serving, sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice
- Slice and clean all veggies (Ideas: mushrooms, onions, peppers, baby carrots, beets, parsnip)
- Put on a baking sheet and drizzle with 4 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning and a dash of salt and pepper
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350
Keep in mind that bikini season is on its way.
Also please note that Sherri has been a tad occupied feeding this lil guy, meet Justin -formerly known as Junior. He isn't into solids just yet but he has exhibited behavior of wanting to eat everything. Future Braude's Bites Guinea Pig.